Palm Thatched Mud Hut
This is an old hut I built 2 years ago and have since demolished. It was a 2 m square floor with wattle and daub walls 1.5 m high topped with a pyramidal roof thatched with Alexander palm fronds. The building method is my usual plan- get a roof up first then build the walls. From start to finish it took 27 days (it could have been faster though- this was at a casual speed). This was the first wattle and daub hut I built and is larger than the other one I built later (my idea for now is to build small but well although I’ll try larger huts again in future).
The roof lasted for a few months before becoming rotten and bug eaten. As an important note the species of palm used in thatching makes all the difference. Had this hut been built in the mountain with wait-a-while palm fronds it would have lasted 2 years at least.
Instead it was thatched with alexander palm fronds that deteriorated quickly.
I wasn’t to know this and was trying to adapt hut building practice I learned in the mountain to low land conditions (I’ve built similar huts up the mountain with the same roof shape that have lasted a long time). I hope in future videos to explore better roofing options to use in areas like this.
Also of interest in the video is another pot I make showing more detail than previous videos. The fire place for the hut is a simple pit in the center of the floor. It is a good hut design though it requires a simple ladder to construct.
Primitive Technology Blog: …
I have no face book page. Beware of fake pages.
- XSURVIVAL COSTA RICA PRESENTA UNA PRODUCCION DE COSTA RICA SURVIVAL | JUNGLE SURVIVAL BASICS
- WRT Outdoor Survival Paracord Bracelet with Compass Review, Compass, razor, and a whistle
- Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener (WSKTS): Demo
- Woodland survival skills course challenge. Student feedback. www.coastalsurvival.com
- Woodcraft Bushcraft Winter Camp Setup
- Wood shed and Native bee honey
- winter shelter
- Winter Camping Trip 2015 – Inside the Tent
- Winter Bushcraft Survival Backpacking Overnight Camping trip
- Winter Bushcraft Kit 2015 Whats in my pack?
- Wildnis Fest Saarvival.de Wilderness Gathering
- Wilderness Twins. Spring camping and introduction
- WILDERNESS SURVIVING TO THRIVING INTRO
- WILDERNESS SURVIVAL WEEKEND
- Wilderness Survival Shelter – Critical Thinking Exercise
- Wilderness Survival. Part 1. How NOT to survive in the wilderness.